HISTORY

Archbishop Spalding High School enjoys a proud legacy of offering a Catholic college-preparatory education since 1963. Whether first or third generation, every student passing through our halls will grow in knowledge, faith, service and leadership. Each student will become a part of our legacy of excellence in Catholic education.

Archbishop Spalding High School was founded in an era of great social and economic change within our country and world. Under the direction of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, the school was founded in 1963 as a parish high school for girls, and was originally staffed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. Known at the time as Holy Trinity High School, the school relocated to the present campus in 1966.

Upon moving to New Cut Road, His Eminence Lawrence Cardinal Shehan renamed the school Martin Spalding High School in honor of the seventh Archbishop of Baltimore. With foresight that the local residential area would continue to grow and see more families recognizing the value of a Catholic education, in 1973 the school became co-educational, welcoming the first boys as freshmen and sophomores. Growth continued throughout the 1980’s as the school began to offer new academic courses and an expanded athletic program. In 1986, the school changed its formal name to Archbishop Spalding High School and by the end of the decade the school’s enrollment topped 1,000 students.  Today the school welcomes students from more than 60 middle schools in 7 counties.

Spalding offers students a challenging college preparatory curriculum balanced with a wide variety of co-curricular activities and athletic opportunities to help students prepare for the challenges of the 21st century. Over 98% of Spalding graduates pursue higher education attending all five service academies (USNA, USMA, USAFA, USCGA, and USMMA), Notre Dame, Princeton, Yale, Loyola, Johns Hopkins, the University of North Carolina and many other prestigious colleges and universities.

© COPYRIGHT 2010 ARCHBISHOP SPALDING HIGH SCHOOL     

8080 New Cut Rd.
Severn, MD 21144
410.969.9105 Tel
410.969.1026 Fax