WELCOME FROM THE PRINCIPAL
This is an exciting time in education. Twenty-first century education recognizes the dynamic process of learning. Gone are the days of sitting passively and absorbing information. A day at Archbishop Spalding may include painting a self-portrait, engineering a robot, problem solving in Advanced Placement Calculus AB, working with peers to design a web page, writing a slam poem, and celebrating Mass in the Chapel.
One of our priorities and challenges as a Catholic high school is to welcome our students wherever they may be in their faith life. Adolescence is a developmental phase characterized by inquiry. While we attempt to take these questions about life and faith and help them foster and strengthen their relationship with both God and their faith community, we also aim to expand their world view beyond themselves. Our Service Outreach programs help the students reach out to serve others and our God.
Our diverse selection of courses offers students opportunities to investigate and pursue college and career interests. Spalding students are challenged and motivated to discover their talents and develop these talents to their highest potential. Our programs are designed to support a variety of learners:
- The Aquinas Program for uniquely gifted college bound students with varied information processing skills in the areas of reading and language.
- The College Preparatory (CP) curriculum is rigorous and presents the most diverse course selections. Honors level courses are available in most courses and are designed to further challenge students.
- Advanced Placement Courses in multiple disciplines allow students to challenge themselves with college-level courses.
- Pathway to EngineeringTM is a new, project-based pre-engineering program.
- SHS (Students Helping Students) is a free academic assistance program.
- Outreach Mentoring Program helps students that need additional academic support.
I hope you will peruse our Course Catalog, which contains our Graduation Requirements and diverse course of study. We constantly strive to provide the most pertinent and current education for our students.
Lewis Van Wambeke