Our program is a four year engineering program integrated into the students’ core curriculum. The combination of traditional math and science courses prepares students for college majors in engineering and technology fields and offers them the opportunity to earn college credit while still in high school.
The program begins in the ninth grade and is completed in the twelfth grade. Enrollment is limited and based on an application process. Selection is based on student interest, willingness to commit to a four year program, math and science middle school grades, and a strong performance on the math section of the HSPT. Selected students will receive a letter of invitation with their letter of acceptance to Archbishop Spalding High School. Interested students and parents can attend a question and answer workshop.
Students accepted to the program will take one course each year as an elective. Students enroll in math and science courses that meet their interests.
PLTW BYOD REQUIREMENTS
- Introduction to Engineering Design (9th grade) - ½ credit towards CS, ½ credit towards Fine Arts
- Principles of Engineering (10th grade) - 1 full credit General Elective
- Digital Electronics (11th grade) - ½ credit towards CS, ½ credit toward General Elective
- Engineering Design & Development (12th grade) - 1 full credit General Elective
Students may elect to complete the PLTW Computer Science (CS) Pathway. The PLTW CS Pathway consists of four courses:
- Computer Science Essentials
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Computer Science A
Students do not need to apply to the program, they simply choose these courses as their electives.